Sunday, December 14, 2008

Peppernuts


These spicy little cookies are a traditional Christmas treat in many German families. Individuals familiar with Peppernuts generally have strong opinions and preferences regarding flavor, color, size and texture of the tiny cookies. Some individuals, for example, prefer them larger than I make them, pillow-shaped and lighter in color. Some bakers of Peppernuts insist the dough must be rolled out and cut with a nickel-sized round cookie cutter in order to achieve a more uniformly round shape. Once, I even saw a bowl of individually iced Peppernuts! You make them how you like them; whatever you decide regarding size and method will surely result in a delightful, aromatic, spicy treat. EnJOY!

1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2/3 cup butter
1 egg
2/3 cup dark corn syrup
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground star anise
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp black pepper
3 cups flour

Mix. Let rest in refrigerator 24 hours. Roll dough into rolls, approximately finger thickness. Chill rolls until firm. Slice rolls with a sharp knife into 1/4 inch thick slices. Place discs on parchment-lined pan, and bake until brown (approximately 4-6 minutes) in 350 degree oven. Allow to cool; then store in airtight container. Hint: Peppernuts are most content when stored in a glass jar or metal cookie tin.




















3 comments:

Penner said...

I have already eaten way to many. I love them.

Donna said...

Those look yummy! My Mom always made those while my dad was living, only we called them Pfeffernuesse and they were little round balls covered in powdered sugar. I've never made them myself, though. Maybe I should continue the tradition (most of my grandparents were German).

By the way, I am really enjoying my Saskatchewan Summer showers in the mornings. It makes the whole bathroom smell good!

Donna said...

I'm sure missing your blog posts (and you!!). When will you be home?