Tuesday, December 2, 2008

My Christmas Tree

It's not the actual tree that's become so special to me. The tree is fake. It came in a box, and it is factory-wrapped in white lights. It is compact and sets up in three easy steps. We bought it on sale after Christmas a few years ago.



What's dear to me is all the stuff I hang on it every year. The assortment has become a collection that tells a bit of a story about us, the owners of the fake tree. And the ornaments have become the center of a quiet tradition of remembering and practicing thanksgiving at Christmastime.

Sheldon deserves the credit for starting this quiet tradition. He sent me the ornament that started it all in a care package years ago before we were married. I thought it was a very sweet gesture, and I still smile about how he addressed the package to his "Sweatheart".



Sheldon and I celebrated our 13th Wedding Anniversary this year, and every Christmas his gift to me has been another ornament for the tree. Most of them have a white, heart-shaped style like this one:



But sometimes the ornament reflects a significant event that occurred in that year like this one:



Or this one:



Not all of the ornaments on my tree are from Sheldon. We are blessed with sweet family and friends and neighbors who share their lives and love with us, so the tree reflects the privilege and beauty of living in relationship with others.

Here is a garden elf from a neighbor and friend:



And the pig Jesse made in '04:



And the lump Saul made in '04:



My sister made these replicas of the shortbread cookies my mother bakes every year:



My mom crocheted a lovely collection of snowflakes and covers for my shiny red orbs:





And this little Santa Face is also homemade by mom. It reminds me of the Christmas Trees I enjoyed as a child.



My dad contributed several red hearts, handcrafted from wood and painted by his hand:



I have several ornaments from Pam now. The photo doesn't capture the layers of gorgeous color on this one she dipped--so adeptly!



And here's one from Stef:



One year at a Cookie Party I made these ribbon and wreath ornaments with friends:





This little angel reminds me of my church family. Everybody got one at a Christmas Brunch a few years ago:



This is my Noodle Angel from Kathleen. She's given me quite a few angels over the years. I'm surprised at how well this little thing has held up!



This is a chubby, happy angel I purchased myself; I like her attitude!




Here is the tiniest ornament on my tree, but it represents the biggest, most glorious truth! Jesus was born (like it says in Luke 2) and Jesus died on the cross (like it says in Luke 24) and now I am forgiven and free to walk in joy (like it says in Romans 8)! It's really, really cool to think about how much God loves you and me. He offers life to all who believe! And this is why I celebrate and this is why I hope and this is why I will continue this quiet tradition of remembering who God is and what He has done. I know I can do it anywhere, anytime...but in this season, I do it quite a lot at my Christmas Tree.





It's difficult to hang a nativity set on a tree, so we set them up around the tree:





Thanks for touring my tree with me! I wish you comfort and joy where you are in this day!

5 comments:

Donna said...

Oh, how fun to tour your tree with you (I've read it twice now!). Thank you for sharing, I learned some new things about you. You did a great job with the photos!

I am looking forward to decorating our tree (the lights are being put on at the moment) and reviewing the story of our lives written on our tree. We have an Old World baby Jesus ornament that always goes front and center on one of those little motors that you plug into one of the bulb sockets that makes the ornament rotate. It's to remind us that Jesus is the reason for all of our celebrations and traditions. Oh, how I love Jesus!

Susan said...

Thanks Donna! Is your tree decorated now? I love your description of the Old World Baby Jesus Ornament. And I love how you share your love of Jesus! May your heart be filled with comfort and joy in Him today!

Anonymous said...

Hey, could I have a hard copy of that? You can include it in the book you are bringing me for Christmas. I just finished reading it to the boys as we are planning on setting up our tree tonight (after we cut it down from in the flower bed that is). What a lot of memories. Come to think of it I didn't see any orange monkeys on your tree.

Ethel

Susan said...

Dear Ethel,

I know! I couldn't find my orange monkey! I know you gave me one...it could still be up in one of the boxes; hope so! But then I would need to find some purple lights. Have fun putting up your tree! And yeah, on my first dull day where I have nothing to do but eat bon bons I will surely print up that book you've been asking for.

Diana said...

loved the tour!!! you need something Japanesey...hmmm...what's your address?