Friday, October 24, 2008

Licorice Allsorts



Licorice Allsorts bring to mind sweet memories of Grandma's Pantry...

On the left side of the cook stove was a door my sister and I were allowed to enter often with Grandma’s permission. This was the door to her pantry, and it smelled so good in there! The pantry was filled, floor to ceiling, with neatly stocked shelves of produce, canned goods, baked goods, flours and spices. We were usually invited to choose whatever we wished from the pantry for our snack. My favorites from Grandma’s Pantry were Licorice Allsorts, Circus Peanuts, Orange Slices, iced wafer cookies, and those chocolate-covered cookies with the wafer on the bottom, a berry filling and marshmallow. Grandma had many delicious and healthful home-made items available, but as a child I wanted the sugary “store-bought” things. We ate popcorn from little boxes too. There was an elephant on the box and a small toy or treat inside. The popcorn was lightly coated with a pink sugar glaze. I always picked the pink popcorn treat, and wondered how Dad could prefer the Cracker Jacks.

Do you love old-fashioned candies too? Which ones take YOU back down memory lane?

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you have a sweet, sweet day!

Susan

5 comments:

Donna said...

Hadn't thought of them for years, but my Gramma liked little white candies with an anise seed in the middle. I can't remember what they were called. They came in a tin and I think we could get them at the old Heidi's on Hwy 26 toward Sandy.

mmm...I can taste them yet.

Susan said...

Dear Donna,

Ohhhh, thanks for sharing...I've never tried a little candy such as you describe. Sounds yummy!

I found some anise flavored candies online. Are either of these similar to the kind you remember?

1. "Naturally flavored hard candies that taste like anise, which is similar to a licorice flavor. From Claey's Candies, who have been making classic hard candy since 1919." See www.nostalgiccandy.com.

2. "L'Anis de Flavigny candies have been produced since the 9th century and are presented in keepsake tins, decorated with beautiful old-fashioned pictures." See www.amazon.com.

Blessings to you,

Susan

Donna said...

I think the second one might be it--the tin looks familiar, but they don't show what the candy looks like.

Dan remembers these on the first web site. He LOVES licorice.
http://www.nostalgiccandy.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=407

Anonymous said...

Hello dear old Main street neighbor. I remember them well. If I can not find the real dutch licorice (farm animals are my favorite), this is my second choice. Yum!

Susan said...

Oh, how fun! Those Sen-Sen candies have been around since 1894 it says; they must be really good!

Thanks for sharing this, Donna (and Dan!).

And my dear old Main Street neighbor, it is so fun to connect with you here! I am grinning from ear to ear thinking about you and your licorice habit. Now which ones did you mean are your second choice? The Sen-Sen candies or one of the others I listed? Just want to be clear about this in case I need them for your next care package. I've sent you quite a few imaginary care packages, you know. Sometime, I might just get it together and send a real one!
How's the little centerpiece?

Love to you all,

Susan