Saturday, November 1, 2008

Quiet Retreat


I've just returned from a Quiet Retreat. I feel really tired, but in a good way. I feel like I've had some rare time away to think and play and listen. I mean think, as in think about things that are bigger (like the promises of God) than what's on my task list. I mean play, as in sit on a swing, walk in the forest, giggle with the girls. I mean listen, as in listen to the brook, to the softly falling leaf, to the still, small voice of the Lord. It's work to think and play and listen like this, but it is so very restful for my soul. Why don't I do more of this? I definitely need to do more of this. I NEED to be faithful and purposeful about using the blessings of time and health to listen and pray and celebrate my Lord--for His glory and my own well-being. I was made for this!

"Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:

Because of the LORD'S great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.

They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.

I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him."

Lamentations 3:21-24

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen

Donna said...

You summarized our weekend perfectly!

Anonymous said...

Susan, I enjoyed reading your thoughts regarding the quiet retreat. I must say that I agree with your comment about needing to do this sort of thing more. The noise and the pace of life can truly take away your energy and focus on God.
Thank you for your words.

God bless,
Ken

P.S. I enjoyed the pictures and stories from the Alaska trip. Sheldon and Jim will never forget this one. What a blessing to be together and to be able to encourage one another in the Lord. Men truly need this sort of thing.

Susan said...

Hey Donna and Ken and ?! Thanks for your comments! You encourage me!

Susan